Saturday, March 06, 2004

a job interview (part 1)

I arrived at 8:30 this morning for my interview at Crappy Calls and, upon entering, soon found out that I would be progressing through a series of interviews with different people near the top of the company hierarchy.

Joe, the VP of something or other, commenced the interview festivities...though it was less an 'interview festivity' and more a 'listen to Joe talk festivity'. Not that there's anything wrong with this...it actually works out better for me. The less I talk, the less chance there is that they'll realize how unqualified I am for the job.

Joe expounded, ad nauseum, on the company and his position in the company. After a few minutes of this, I felt my eyelids getting quite heavy and all I could think was 'don't fall asleep'. But, in an effort to show that I would be perfect for the job, I was able to stay awake...and even nodded a few times to feign interest.

Joe finished up with his portion and told me that Mark would soon be in to further 'gauge' my qualifications. Round one had ended and I was still standing, thus I was feeling pretty good about the interview as a whole.

This feeling didn't last long, however. Shortly after Joe vanished, Bill, the HR guy, came into the conference room where I was sitting and told me, "uh...well, it appears that Mark has decided not to come in today. He knew that he had this interview, but I guess something came up."

I left the building thinking that it can't be a good thing when you're stood up on an interview.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home