Wednesday, March 10, 2004

seeking fame

Okay, after watching American Idol (yes, I watch this show...I'm terribly embarrassed about this, though) I can't get over the fact that everybody, it seems, wants to be a star. What exactly is it about fame that's so appealing? I mean, besides the money, the recognition, the hordes of women (or men) that fall at your feet, the limos, yachts...okay, so I get the appealing part...but if everybody was really THAT talented and interesting, wouldn't everybody be famous? Seriously, most people in the world just aren't very talented. And they're pretty boring to boot.

But watching American Idol, where these folks are literally begging for stardom, I just feel sort of icky inside. How many of them, left in tears claiming, "I'll be famous one day, making someone a lot of money, and you'll be sorry that you didn't pick me then! Your show will suck without me on it!". In truth, the only 'money' they'll eventually be making for someone will probably be the owner of the McDonald's franchise that they'll be working for. Not that I'm knocking those folks that work there, mind you...someone needs to serve me my burgers.

We're all so fame-hungry, that I think we're well on our way to a society where cable TV will be filled with thousands of channels, and reality TV will be taken to a whole new level. On channel 1,733 you can watch Mary from down the street shave her legs before work and then buy coffee at Starbucks! Or flip to channel 344 and see Brian do his morning crossword puzzle in the morning paper while drinking coffee. And at 9:37, be sure to tune in to channel 9,322, where Candi and Renaldo will make out during their coffee break in the supply closet. Well, actually, that probably would make for pretty good TV. Perhaps we do all deserve to be famous. Isn't that the REAL American dream?

In fact, all I need is my own publicist, make-up artist, hair stylist and script writer, and agent and I could be just as famous as anyone. And really, don't I deserve it?

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home