Saturday, March 13, 2004

tampons on tv

I consider the television to be an old friend. Part of the family, actually. We've shared so many good times together and I really couldn't imagine life without it. But lately, my dear old friend has been creeping me out a little bit. Case in point, that tampon commercial has started popping up during my favorite shows.

You might know the one I'm talking about. There's this incredibly young girl, I'd say about 13 years old, talking all about her favorite brand of tampons...Tampax, I think. Now logically I know that this is about the age that females start up with the whole menstruation cycle thing, but come on now, do we need thirteen year old girls trying to sell us tampons?!

Now, if this was aimed at informing these young girls of their cycles or educating them on menstruation, I could understand. Not that I'd want to watch it in commercial form, mind you, but I would be able to see the point. But there was nothing informative about the commercial. It was just a bunch of pre-teen girls jumping around showing enthusiasm for their tampons.

And here's the even bigger issue. Menstruation means babies. If babies are being made, then that means sex. If we're talking about having sex, I'm thinking about sex with women...women meaning adults. And here's where the problem comes in...thirteen year olds are NOT adults! And based on this, I don't want to see 13, or 14, or anyone even under 18 talking about their periods on TV. (Truthfully, I'd rather not have to listen to any conversations about tampons with anybody of any age)

And because commercials just sort of sneak up on you...I'm only ever aware of them peripherally...there's not even any time to switch the channel fast enough. And then I'm left sitting there feeling dirty. And not the good kind of dirty like you get when you watch the Real World or Paradise Hotel.

|

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey me, great blog! I will be back for sure! You might like my site about Barely Legal Teens, it's not as cool as your blog, but I'm still working on it, check it out, Barely Legal Teens

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home