Monday, April 19, 2004

and so begins the grind

First day, new job. This means early mornings, commutes, and no more day time tv while napping on the couch. Despite the sorely missed nap time, it wasn't too bad. And it seems that, perhaps, this may be a job that I can tolerate...for awhile anyway (three years remains my personal record at a single place of employment before I've fled from boredom, disgust and sometimes both.) And I say 'tolerate' because I have long since given up the hope of finding a job that I 'love'.

I think that background checks may prove to be at least somewhat interesting as an initial entry into the world of cubicle-ism. Yes, gone are the days of little desks in rows, cluttered, half strewn stacks of papers that need grading and spitballs soaring through the air. In any event, it'll be interesting to see if I can survive the dog eat dog daily drama that is the 'real world'. But with verifying backgrounds (or professional digging up of the dirt, as I like to think of it) still remains, in my mind, the ultimate 'get paid for reading blogs' type of deal.

In other news, the last class of the semester...which was supposed to be tonight...was cancelled, and I was so very prepared for tonight's presentation. How prepared you ponder? So so very prepared. I was ready to knock socks off and then kick ass to boot. And all for nothing. This now gives the other four students in class two extra days to beef up their projects, thus diminishing the sock-knockingness of mine. Not that they will do this, but they now have the chance. Sad, but yes, I think about stuff like this. And, after tonight, the class should have been OVER! And now it remains. Lying in wait. Hiding in dark corners. But perhaps the very worst, most terrible thing about the cancellation is the rescheduling....which is now Wednesday night...which is when another youngster will be ousted from American Idol. And this I will miss, sitting instead in a class that should have ended.

But thank God for VCRs.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home