Friday, April 02, 2004

i need to find a passion

I overheard Donald Trump on the television today talking about how you need to have a real passion for your job if you expect to love it and do it well. I left teaching because the passion had been drained. But where does my passion lie now? I don't want to shuffle papers, add figures or balance books. Nor do I really want to supervise, serve, or manage people or property. And nothing that involves blood. So let's take a look at some possibilities...

I could create gourmet meals in a restaurant. I'm sure that, given the time, I could create fabulous meals that would be like heaven to the palate. Any time spent around food, though, always makes me hungry...even if I'm not really hungry...and I'd end up eating as much as I cooked. Within weeks, I'd be losing croutons in the folds of the blubber that would encompass me.

I could build houses. Construction might not be too bad. One large problem with this, however, is the last thing that I made in a 'construction' sense was a small stool back in eighth grade woodshop. The other problem being the physical demands of the job which would surely cause back aches, headaches, swollen feet, aching shoulders, hernia and possibly even a groin pull, so let's move on.

Maybe something tangible but not in a 'building' sense. Janitor? At least there would be a direct sense of accomplishment. I'd see that the floor getting cleaner as I swept it and that the grass was getting shorter the more that I mowed it. Except I'm quite allergic to grass and all that green stuff that tends to live outside.

And the cleaning thing might not be bad, but no windows, kitchens, vacuuming, trash collection and definitely no bathrooms. Dust is mostly dead skin cells. I really don't want to be wiping that stuff up. Kitchens you're dealing with moldy, smelly, rotting food in many cases. I can look in my own refrigerator if I want exposure to that. I don't need to deal with other people's as well. And no bathrooms. Beyond the usual bodily fluids that you have to scrub, wipe and scrape off of porcelain and tile, you always end up having to pick up all those little pubic hairs that end up on the floor around the edges of the tub and toilet.

Which leads us back to food. Namely burger flipping. This I could do. Poised by the griddle, spatula in hand, ready to create the most magnificent burger you've ever laid eyes on. And then collecting my $5.50 an hour once I'm done.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home