Thursday, April 08, 2004

on the job front

Many things are afoot in the job search. By some odd coincidence which is due to cosmic forces beyond my understanding (are the planets aligning?) in the past week I've gotten three calls for second interviews. Not that these are high paying jobs to be envious of, but each will provide me with some type of income...which is becoming an ever increasingly pressing issue as the days roll on by.

The job interview at Crappy Calls, where I was stood up by my interviewer Mark, actually called me in for a second interview. This interview was another three hour marathon which culminated in meeting the owner of the company. The guy, who is ancient by any chronological standards, seemed intelligent enough, though he speaks very quietly and with an accent. This resulted in my not really having heard half of what he said and required a lot of head nodded and agreeing...though I have no idea what I was agreeing with. And at times it seemed that he may have dozed off in his chair in the middle of the interview. I'm not sure if this will end up helping or hurting my case though.

The next second interview was for a position with CareerLink. The tag-team interview was conducted by two ladies who asked me questions based on which their 'favorite' ones were on the little sheet in front of them. One thing that I've found to be useful during all these interviews is to let the interviewer do all of the talking and say as little as possible. Case in point, the lady today spoke for about 80% of the interview with me only having to chime in for the remaining 20%. This made my job much easier, and in the process, I found out that 1) Sheila thinks that everyone should check their voice mail at least once a day. 2) That Sheila's mom doesn't like to drive. And 3) That Sheila's office is cluttered but she didn't want one with a window because the light hurts her eyes.

The criminal background check called for a second interview as well. Next week, I make my way north to an underground bunker that now houses the offices for the place that needs employees. Apparently it was once some type of army base and by underground we're talking several stories beneath the Earth. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy working void of any natural light, but hey, in the event of nuclear war, I'll have pretty good odds of survival.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home