Wednesday, April 28, 2004

what a meal!

In the news the other day was a story about a guy who was 'cut-off' in his all-you-can-eat dining experience at some restaurant somewhere in America. Apparently, the restaurant felt that 12 slices of roast beef was more than enough for anyone to eat. And, apparently, the guy was embarrassed because this took place in front of all the other patrons (as opposed to some dark and dingy back room, where these occurrences usually take place). And, the guy was Samoan. So, the family has decided to sue the restaurant.

Now, as is the case with virtually every law suit, the family strongly denied it having anything to do with money. Naturally. Because who sues for money? No, the reason, as told by this guy's wife, was to do away with the stereotype of Samoans as being big eaters. To which I thought, "Huh?". Now, call me racially insensitive if you must, but I rarely (read never) give much thought to Samoans at all. Truthfully, the only thing I really know about Samoans is that I believe them to be one of tastiest type of Girl Scout cookies that you can buy. If memory serves, they have chocolate with toasted coconut on top. Very delicious. As for Samoans being some type of nationality...well, I'm not real sure, but if the TV says so, I'll take its word for it.

And being that I don't really know where Samoa is or that there are actual people from this place, I really wasn't aware of any stereotypes at all. So, basically, this family is suing the restaurant so that I'll un-believe a stereotype that I didn't believe in the first place nor ever even knew existed. All this because of some guy that decided a meal of 12 slices of roast beef (and probably some mash potatoes and ham, because what's an all you can eat buffet without these?) has decided to sue the restaurant that kicked him out. Not that he wants money, mind you, but because he wants to dispel the myth that Samoans eat too much. But this story has, in fact, led me to a conclusion that I had never really considered before...

...12 slices? These Samoans must be pigs! So thank you TV for helping broaden my horizons and giving me a better knowledge of our neighbors in different countries...where ever the hell Samoa is. Not that I really care...I'm just never having one over for dinner.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home