Friday, May 14, 2004

about to step in it

Four weeks into the new job, and already I'm about to walk right into a mess. A huge, sticky, potentially pitfall plagued problem of a mess. Yet I can't seem to get my feet to stop.

It's a relatively small office. When I started, all of the people seemed nice enough...but what has ended up happening is that, in seeing these people everyday, some have started to grow on me. Especially some of the ladies in the office. Especially one lady, in particular. And I'll be damned if the sight of her doesn't brighten my mood a little. I find myself inventing reasons to walk by her desk and, by now, I'm pretty much smitten, and rapidly headed toward full-blown smite. This has happened to me before...and it never ends well. Office romances and me just don't mix.

None of this would matter, except for the fact that this girl who is spending more and more time in the back of my mind, has asked me out. And, knowing the risks, the mess that may very well result, and the likely office gossip, I made the only logical, rational response I knew that I could make.

I said yes.

I can't help but think that I'm walking right into the middle of the jungle wearing pants made of raw meat. And after a brief review of my past history with work related flings, this is quite an accurate depiction. I'm about to step in it. But is this stopping me? Nope, I'm pretty much running full steam ahead. Straight into that cow pasture.

On the other hand, this act of 'asking me out' may not be a date at all. She may end up having several friends along with her when I pick her up tomorrow night, making it very clear that a night alone with me is not what she had in mind at all. Relief? Not even close. If this turns out to be the case, I'm going to be extremely disappointed, dejected, and down-trodden. Because despite what I know will end up happening, I've already checked my logic at the door and am all already for the inevitable explosion and aftermath to follow. But I'm fully expecting to enjoy the show while it lasts.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home