Sunday, May 02, 2004

rejection letter #899

So I have a job now and really shouldn't be complaining. But still, in the last week, I've gotten a slew of rejection letters from jobs that I had applied to before this one was offered. And despite my current 'employed' status, these letters are still taking a chunk of my ego with every envelope that I tear open. Truth is, I'm being rejected by jobs that I can't even remember having applied for!

Of all these rejections, though, the one that stung the most was from Crappy Calls, a company that I had applied to back in early February. I pretty much considered this job to be a lock because my brother-in-law works there. That, and they were very short handed having had someone quit back in January. And despite the fact that this was the job where one of the managers never showed up for my interview, I was secretly confident that the job would be mine.

Over the course of two interviews, I spent a total of 6 hours with these people...and while they were really dragging their feet in hiring someone, I was still quite sure that, eventually, the job would be mine.

And then a letter came in the mail a few days ago.

"Thank you for your interest in Crappy Calls. While we found your credentials to be impressive, we have decided to select a candidate that better suits our needs at this time."

A better candidate?!? To answer phones?! Because really, that's what the job was...a glorified operator! So in talking to my brother-in-law, it turns out that the owner of the company, this 80 year old guy, has decided that he is only going to hire people with engineering degrees. Because everyone knows that you major in engineering to answer phones for $24,000 a year.

I realize that I'm probably better off without this job, but I should have been the one who got to reject them! After almost three months of being strung along, I was so looking forward to that job offer so I could send them a letter which read:

"Thank you for your interest in me. While I find your company impressive, I have decided to go with one that better suits my needs. Good luck with your search, and you can all bite my ass."

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home