Wednesday, May 05, 2004

wanda the waitress

For one of the background checks I did today, I had to call this little, locally owned Chinese restaurant in Arizona. A girl named Wanda had applied for a job at a hotel, and I was in the process of checking her past employment history. I asked for Julie, the owner, who turned out to be a Chinese woman with a tiny little voice, and asked her about Wanda.

"Wanda?" Julie said, "She work here many years ago, right? She a waitress? Oh my, she not very good...I remember that she always sick. She never come in because she say she was sick. She do this many times. I call her to see if she okay, and her family say she fine. Then, for while, she start coming in again. But her friends, they come when she at work and she just leave with them. It very terrible, because I have no one to wait on tables because she just leave. Then one day, she don't show up. I call her family, they say she sick. And I never see her again. Oh my, she was not very good. Sorry, but I don't want to hire her back again."

As I'm trying to explain to Julie that Wanda doesn't want to work for her again, but that she's applied to another company, Julie interrupts me and says, "But this was many years ago...I think it was Wanda, but it might be some other waitress back then. I can't remember which girl was Wanda."

I just wrote this one off as 'record retrieval inconsistencies' and went to lunch.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home