Saturday, June 26, 2004

beauty or brains?

I was out with a couple of friends the other night when one of those questions that seem much more 'deep and insightful' after a few drinks than they would normally otherwise seem, was asked. "Would you rather be really smart or really attractive?" was what Jen wanted to know.

Her and Ginger automatically answered that they would much prefer to be 'hot'. So they looked at me, and I asked, "just how dumb are we talking about, here?"

"You over analyze everything!" Jen told me...in quite an exasperated tone too, I might add.

But I don't think it was an over-analysis at all. With intelligence comes unlimited potential. The ability to craft a story or poem, weaving prose in such a way to bring a tear to someone's eye. To think about abstract concepts and twist them around so as to reveal new solutions and secrets that otherwise would be missed. To analyze and appreciate the world in ways that are unimaginable, and to use this gift to further mankind and bring about sweeping changes to improve our quality of life. To add to our understanding of the sciences and arts is simply invaluable.

"You'd have normal intelligence," Jen said. "You wouldn't have such a low I.Q. that you'd be drooling and peeing your pants."

The answer became clear to me. "Oh, well that's easy then...I'd much rather be really attractive."

I just wanted to make sure that I'd be smart enough to enjoy being that good looking.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home