Sunday, June 06, 2004

healthy and fit...sort of

I'm a reasonably healthy guy, yet I fear that I may suffer from slight bouts of potentially terminal illnesses. Yes, I may be a hypochondriac.
It may have started back in college during a biology class that I took. In discussing the human eyeball, the professor stated how we have thousands of little capillaries in the eye, most of which are less thick than a strand of hair, and how if just one of those would suddenly snap, BOOM! we'd be blind!
This freaked me out quite a bit, and during the rest of the class I alternated covering my left eye and then my right just to make sure that I hadn't suddenly lost my ability to see. Luckily, those little capillaries of mine all held firm.

Just recently, a friend of mine was talking about how he always seems to be tired, going on several years now, and was just recently diagnosed with apnea. Apnea being where your brain basically forgets to tell your body to breathe while you're sleeping and you wake up throughout the night pretty much gasping for air.

After he mentioned this, I started thinking that I've been pretty tired lately too! And I bet that I have the same disorder! Forget the fact that my allergies have been bad and that I haven't had clear nasal passages since February, I was positive that I had apnea! So to prove this, I started only sort of half-sleeping through the night in the hopes of catching myself in the process of not breathing, thus proving that my fears were correct. And while this hasn't happened yet, for some odd reason I'm still pretty tired in the morning.

And really, when you think about it, isn't thinking that I'm a hypochondriac sort of like having a disease? Maybe thinking I'm a hypochondriac and that I've got all these other illnesses, is an illness in and of itself.

This is all just getting too confusing...and illness or no illness, if there's one thing I know it's that I'm lazy. Too much thinking is involved in this hypochondriac business, so I'm just going to forget about it, declare myself healthy, and get back to the business of loafing around.

But, you know, my leg has been pretty itchy lately, and I'm wondering if some mosquito didn't give me that West Nile Virus...I'd better keep an eye on it, just to be safe.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home