Sunday, July 11, 2004

rent...a serious cramp in my purchasing power

So the other day I signed the lease on my new place. Now that this paper has been signed, though, I've begun noticing a few side effects. The first of which is that I'm now relating all money issues in terms of rent. My current college pursuit? Each class is about two months worth of rent. Food-wise, I can eat 250 Big Macs per month, or pay my rent. Of course, if I down scale to the Wendy's 99 cent value menu, I can increase my purchasing power to about 500 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. Those bubble gum ball machines in front of the supermarket? I can buy about 2,000 of them for what it will cost me to keep a roof over my head. Entertainment? Well, rather than pay rent I could see that new Spiderman movie a total of 62 times...no popcorn or drink, though...that would put me over the limit. So this whole 'rent' deal is going to put a serious cramp on my funds. Exactly how am I going to survive without my monthly allotment of Big Macs and gum balls?

But the even bigger kick in the ass to all of this is that the whole 'job' thing has just become that much more important, making the fantasies of telling my boss to kiss my ass and shove the job that much further from becoming a reality. So I've gained 'independence' by securing my own place but, simultaneously, just cemented my servitude to my current place of employment...because to remain independent I have to remain a slave to that old twit who signs my paychecks, meager as they may be. What the hell kind of freedom is that?!

I may just end up opting for a cozy little cardboard box under a nice bridge somewhere. Now if only I could figure out a way to get cable with that.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home