Thursday, July 29, 2004

some days it just doesn't pay to leave your cubicle

I really needed to get out of the office for lunch today.  Truthfully, this was as much of a 'sanity' thing as it was a 'food' thing.  As I started heading down the stairs, I stubbed my toe, and almost fell the remaining two flights down to the main landing.  Holding the rail, catching my breath, and then breathing a sigh of relief, I kept going.  I wasn't about to be deterred. 

I had driven about half-way to Panera, my restaurant of choice for the afternoon, when I realized that I needed a Kleenex.  So I start feeling around on the backseat, which is where I had tossed them yesterday afternoon.  With no luck, I decide that this task requires a quick turnaround to locate the box.  I turn, I find, I grab a Kleenex, and as I swing back around I see that I'm about six inches away from the guardrail on the road, and traveling rapidly toward it.  I quickly swerve and just barely avoid an increase in my insurance premium.  Again, I breathe a sigh of relief, but do I stop? Nope.

I get to Panera unscathed, hop out of my car and start heading to the main entrance and am nearly turned into road kill by a car zipping through the parking lot.  He blows his horn and, after my heart stops beating through the old rib cage, I keep going.  By this time, I'm pretty sure that the food gods are trying to tell me something.  But because I was hungry, there, and pretty dense, I went inside.

The food ordering, return to work, and eating of my sandwich went without a hitch.  So I took my coffee and returned to my computer.  I sat down, laughed to myself for thinking that the universe was trying to send me some sort of anti-Panera message, and took a swig of coffee.

I promptly proceeded to choke.  Which led to quite the impressive spray of coffee.  I wiped down my keyboard, computer screen, desk, pencil holder and stapler.  And then I sat in that cubicle until 5:00 and didn't move an inch.  Next time, I'll take the hint and pack a ham sandwich instead.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home