Thursday, December 09, 2004

i may now be forced to learn something

So, it appears that there will be some changes on the whole grad school front. Our professor told us that, at a recent faculty meeting, that there have been rumors that the college is at risk of losing its Middle States accreditation. Now, to be honest, I'm not real certain what this 'accreditation' is or why its coming from the 'middle states'. Apparently, a degree from a non-accredited school is just as good as one from an 'accredited' school, so as far as I'm concerned, who needs it?

And besides, do we really need the approval from all those middle states? Now, if this accreditation was from the east coast, or the west coast...or even all those New England states...well, sure, let's try to keep the accreditation. California, New York, Florida...all good states as far as I'm concerned, and quite frankly, if push came to shove I'd want them to be on my side. Iowa, Nebreska, Kansas? Not so much. In a country wide brawl, my money would be on New Jersey over Oklahoma any day of the week. I would bet that this scrappy little state would kick Oklahoma's ass clear down to Mexico.

This whole pulling of accreditation stems from the fact that, apparently, the college is giving out too many A's. Which means that for the college to keep its accreditation, it'll be a whole lot tougher to get an A. Which means that I might actually have to start working. Which is the real reason I'm against this whole accreditation thing. Honestly, I have no problem with the college giving out too many A's. I've long ago given up the hope of actually 'learning'. This is nothing more than a business transaction to me. I'll pay, slide by, and you give me that piece of paper which will, hopefully, make me more marketable to businesses willing to shell out big bucks for people with that piece of paper. Hell, I'd even settle for medium to medium-big sized bucks.

But now, all because of these damn middle states, I may actually have to start 'working', which was really not a part of the original deal. All of which means that I may soon have to start looking to buy a degree from the classified ads in the back of Rolling Stone magazine. Which would suit me just fine...middle states accreditation or not.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home