Thursday, April 21, 2005

topics worthy of disussion

As a Catholic, I’m rather ashamed to say that I've never been really clear on the significance of the Pope. I suppose that I’ve just always assumed that he was pretty much a figure head, comparable to the King of England.

Though, with the passing of Pope John Paul II, I’m beginning to realize the significance of the Pope, and what a true loss this man’s death really is. Granted, I was only six when John Paul became the Pope and I never really knew any of the Popes before him, but his charisma, message of hope, and the dignity he showed was remarkable.

And, like many, I wonder what Pope Benedict’s legacy will bring. I know that he’s got his critics…the Nazi allegations surrounding his youth, his denouncement of homosexuals, and the general hard-line he seems to support in triumphing the traditional values of the Catholic Church.

In all, though, it’s an issue that seems worthy of debate…much more so than the thousands of pages that have been printed surrounding Brad and Jen’s divorce…it’s a topic that has substance and impact, a matter that should warrant thoughtful discussion and debate. So it was refreshing to hear an older couple talking about this very topic earlier this morning while I was in the supermarket.

“You know, I really don’t agree with the vote. I really do think that they picked the wrong person,” an elderly lady was saying to her husband.

“No, I think that they got it exactly right,” her husband told her. “He deserved it and I’ve got no complaints.”

“I’m just not sure. I mean, I always liked that Anwar boy. He's got such a good voice!”

And I couldn’t help but feel a bit sad that this is where we’re at as a country. The election of a new Pope is considered small potatoes when compared with who got voted off of American Idol.

Though I had to admit that the little old lady was right. That tubby Scott Savol guy deserved to be voted off long before Anwar.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home