Friday, May 13, 2005

the biggest problem with renting

While I dislike household chores of any kind, there are some that I can stand behind more than others. Vacuuming the floor, for example. When finished, I can look at that floor and feel a sense of accomplishment. A floor that is clean, and will remain so until I accidentally dump a bag of half eaten Doritos on it or forget to take my shoes of after walking through a muddy patch on my way up to the apartment. At this point, the carpet will no longer be clean and steps will once again have to be taken to restore order to the universe.

Washing dishes is another chore that, while I don’t particularly care for, I can endure. Because at a certain point, every dish I own has been washed and is clean. Short of going to Wal-Mart and purchasing more dishes, or eating off of one which I have just washed, these dishes will remain clean and in pristine order.

But what I truly despise doing is washing clothes. Not so much because the work is hard, tiresome, or complicated, but rather that it’s never done. Even once every white, dark, color, sock, and undergarment is washed, I can’t sit back and relax knowing that ALL my clothes are clean. Like it or not, the clothes I’m wearing while having washed my unworn clothes are dirty…or, at least, in the process of becoming dirty. Thus the whole washing clothes task is never done.

By living in an apartment and being a non-washing machine owner, I’m forced to go elsewhere to wash clothes. And, unfortunately, I’m not really at liberty to remove too many articles of clothing when in the Laundromat. Eventually, I get down to an article of clothing that, if removed, will land me in jail. But by keeping this last piece of clothing on, my washing job is never truly done.

And while I’m happy renting, I can easily see the appeal of owning your own home and washing machine. Personally, I would always wash my clothes in the nude. This way, I would clearly know that my job of washing is done. I would bask in the completedness of my task and laze around the house naked for hours…possibly days, content with the knowledge that I have no clothes which have accumulated dirt and needed cleaning.

Yes, if I ever buy a house, it will be for this reason.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home