Monday, September 19, 2005

issues from a relationship

I was out with Trish, the girl I’ve been dating, this weekend when I got the dreaded ‘we need to talk’ line…a line which never brings good tidings.

“I don’t feel like I get any support from you,” she said, “and I need someone that’s going to be supportive of me.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, “I’m very supportive…a pillar of support, in fact.”

“Well, like a couple of weeks ago…I mentioned my toe nail thing and you weren’t supportive at all!”

“My support does have its limits,” I tried to explain, “and these limits don’t include the foot region.”

“See, this is what I mean! You just don’t stand behind me on issues! This is more than simply a toe nail issue, this is an us issue!”

“See, I thought that this whole thing was really just a toe nail issue.” I told her.

“We’re completely opposite,” she continued, “you like coffee, I like tea. You’re more of a morning person and I like the nightlife. I love movies and you prefer television.”

And I realized that she was right. I do like television more than movies. I’ve never liked sitting through one of these two or three hour movies that are the norm nowadays. That’s simply too big of a commitment to make for something that I may not even enjoy. At least with television, you’re only looking at a half hour or an hour…and that includes commercial breaks to grab something to eat or run to the bathroom. So if the program stinks, at least you didn’t waste too much time.

And if I can't commit to sitting through a three hour movie, how in the world am I supposed to commit to a potential lifetime with Trish? It’s too much time to invest for an ending that I may not like.

Thus, I think that my relationship with Trish has just been yanked from the theaters.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home