Wednesday, January 04, 2006

good advice from my radio

As I sat in traffic this morning on my way to work, a commercial on the radio caught my attention. "Are you tired of your job?" it asked.

I nodded my head in agreement, impressed that my radio knew me so well.

"Are you sick of your boss?"

"Yes," I said aloud.

"Is it time to start a business of your own? With no one to answer to and no one looking over your shoulder?"

"Yes," I shouted inside my empty car, holding up a fist as a display of solidarity that my radio and I shared.

"If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions," my radio told me, "then it's time to join a multi-billion dollar industry...the 'work-at-home' industry."

Still nodding in agreement, I thought to myself, 'Gee, I didn't even know my home was hiring…because, had I known, surely I would have sent myself a resume long ago.'

The thought was abruptly cut off, however, when 'real' testimonials from 'real' people...people that my radio told me were 'just like myself'...began. Heather, from Miami, loved the job because she got to work with her friends. Steve loved the job because he could set his own hours. Martin loved the job because he was making more money and doing less work.

These were all things that would easily lead me to love a job as well.

My radio instructed me to visit a website which would help me begin my new, fruitful career as an at-home professional. Sitting in my car, inching along the highway, I didn't have a pen nearby to jot the site down. So I repeated, then re-repeated, the site to myself. Again and again, over and over. A mantra which would lead to my self-sufficiency, far away from idiot bosses and mindless work.

Though, shortly after the commercial ended, I realized that nothing had been said regarding what the actual job was in this multi-billion dollar work-at-home industry.

Of course, no matter what the job entailed, needless to say it would be done while sitting on my couch and watching television.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home