Saturday, January 21, 2006

some things are tastier than others

For Christmas, my boss gave me a $10 gift card to one of the many malls that populate the city. And, as any mall shopper knows, ten dollars is only enough to purchase a cup of coffee and a cookie. This is exactly what I was buying yesterday when I ventured out.

As I was waiting in line to order my dinner plate-sized cookie and large coffee from a Mrs. Field’s store in the food court, I noticed two mothers, both with young children, seated at a nearby table. The moms were involved in conversation, their kids, both of which looked to be about two, were sitting in booster seats beside them.

The dark haired mother's boy was busy eating the remains of a hot dog, a meal which had left most of the ketchup smeared around his mouth and trailing up his cheek. The blond haired mother's boy was busy digging through her purse which was wedged in between them. His mom, deeply involved in what was surely a juicy tidbit of gossip, was only peripherally aware that her son was digging through her purse. After some searching, he pulled out what looked to be a white, sugar coated pretzel stick, stuck it in his mouth and started sucking.

Unfamiliar with the store that sold sugar coated pretzel sticks, I scanned the food court to see where this delicacy could be purchased. But not finding any store that fit this description, I returned my attention to the task of waiting in line. Shortly after, though, I heard a muffled mini-shriek from the blond mother at the sugar coated pretzel boy’s table. She said, in one of those loud-hushed tones that mothers use so well, "Travis! Put that back in mommy’s purse! You shouldn't be sucking on that!"

And it dawned on me that little Travis wasn't sucking on a pretzel at all. What he had pulled out of his mom's purse was a tampon.

Maybe, thinking that underneath the plastic wrapper some wonderful sugar confection would be found, Travis decided that further exploration was in order. I, on the other hand, with many more years of dessert knowledge than Travis had, turned back around, certain that my chocolate chip cookie would be more satisfying than a soggy tampon.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home