Tuesday, May 30, 2006

taking stock

June will mark the fourth month of my unemployment. And in this time, I’ve done some soul searching. While I’d like to be able to say that I’ve figured out what career path I want to embark on and where my life is heading, nothing that meaningful has taken place. Rather, what I’ve discovered about myself is that I’ve gained a lot of weight and my socks all have holes in them…presumably from my now massively obese feet.

And these aren’t just normal sized holes. These are holes large enough for small children to stick their heads through. I put my socks on and my whole foot slips right through, making my socks more like garter belts. I don’t know when the sudden influx of holes began, but it is currently in full bloom and leaving a severe sock shortage in my wardrobe needs.

So a plan has been established. While I have no power over the hiring managers’ decisions to give me a job, my weight and socks are both things that I have control over.

And at least one of these goals, I’m certain that I can achieve.

|