Saturday, June 03, 2006

signs that you won't be getting the job

Three months ago, I had an interview. Working on the assumption that persistence pays off in job hunting, I began a bi-weekly routine of calling this company to find out where they were in the hiring process.

I had the name and number of the HR person that interviewed me, and I was diligent in my communication efforts with her. Surely, I thought, this would show my dedication and desire to secure a position with them.

The first week I called, I got her voice mail and left a message. Two days later, she called back to inform me that they were still interviewing candidates. The second week of my ‘persistence pays-off plan’, I again left her a voice mail message. Four days after this call, she sent me an email explaining that no further developments had arisen concerning the position and that she would contact me when there was something new.

This didn’t discourage me however, and I placed a third call two weeks later. This time, however, I never heard back from her. No email. No phone call. So the very next week, I left another message and followed this with an email. Again, nothing.

By this point, I knew that I wasn’t getting the job and the company knew that I wasn’t getting the job. But I continued my calls because I wanted them to know that I knew that they knew that I wasn’t getting the job. And, at the very least, someone there was going to tell me ‘you won’t be getting this job’.

Granted, this process amounts to nothing more than a colossal waste of time. But seeing that I’m unemployed, I have nothing but time to waste.

Finally, after countless messages and emails that went unanswered, I opted for a different approach and called the main number and asked to speak with Gina in human resources.

“I’m sorry sir,” the receptionist told me, “Gina is no longer employed here. Let me connect you with her replacement.”

Gina, my inside connection, was gone. All that work and history I had built to show her just how much I wanted the job was all for nothing. But not to worry, I thought. Here’s a new HR person to begin anew with. A clean slate…I’ll just show her the same desire and commitment that I showed Gina.

Soon after, I was pleading my case to the ‘new’ Gina. I explained the interview, and the resume I sent in, and my numerous conversations with Gina.

I was put on hold while she checked her files, and a minute later she was back. “I’m sorry, but we have no record of you at all. I couldn’t find your resume nor could I find any notes or indication that you ever came in for an interview. Unfortunately, we have moved ahead in the process and have narrowed the pool down to three candidates, so you won’t be considered for this position. But if you’d like to email me your resume, I’ll be sure to keep it on file for six months.”

So I was wrong in thinking that the company knew I wouldn’t be getting the job. As it turned out, the company didn’t even know who I was.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home