Monday, June 12, 2006

they just don't make thieves like they used to

Today, for the first time in over three months, I had to wake up early and head off to work. An actual job. For which I’ll receive an actual paycheck. This meant that yesterday was the last day that I could sleep in with unabashed recklessness. I had every intention of shamelessly taking advantage of this.

And my plan worked perfectly, right up until 6:15 in the morning. Because, according to the clock on my nightstand, it was at this exact moment that a car alarm began screeching from the parking lot of my apartment building.

This car alarm, however, was soon joined by two other car alarms…from cars that I can only suppose felt left out and decided to join in the fun. For the next several minutes, this trio of alarmingness created a cacophony of car chaos.

I feebly attempted to bury my head beneath the pillows, but to no avail. The automobile symphony was simply too loud to ignore. Besides, by this point I was wide awake.

Truth be told, nobody even blinks anymore when a car alarm goes off. When they were first invented years ago, I’m sure that people stopped, ran to the scene, and chased the car thief off long before the vehicle was stolen. But nowadays, nobody car, so frequent are the false alarms that these alarms are always alarming us about. It’s about time that the auto manufacturers do away with these things altogether.

Perhaps it was simply a strange atmospheric event that caused these alarms to go off. But, in the event that it was a really incompetent burglar, I wish that he would have shown a bit more persistence.

Hop in the car and drive away with the alarm blaring instead of setting off three and then fleeing the scene. What ever happened to pride in a job well done?

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home